As one of the first outfitters to lead trips to Carstensz Pyramid (1994), we are excited to now offer a fly-in and fly-out itinerary for our Carstensz expeditions. Each season we adjust our trip to current circumstances, working closely with local outfitters to use transport and local support in the best combination. Our most recent seasons have experienced 100% summit success, with Paul Koubek leading, and we have had a 98% success rate since our initial 1994 climb. We look forward to Paul leading our fall 2021 climb.
Why helicopter travel? We choose to use helicopters for our current expeditions because we see this as the best chance to provide a successful expedition while meeting the logistical challenges of traveling in West Papua. Trips that trek into basecamp bear much reliance on local Dani Tribesman, and helicopter transport in general reduces the number of variables in reaching our destination. Additionally, local politics, staying healthy while trekking, and the extremely limited ability to provide emergency assistance on the trek makes helicopter use the best option.
Arrive Bali – Hotel – Expedition briefing and gear check.
EARLY flight to Timika – Hotel – Rest – Packing and final check – Technical meeting.
Flight to Carstensz Base Camp (Yellow Valley) – Arrive Yellow Valley. Acclimitization.
Potential Summit Day – or acclimatization at Base Camp
Flight out from Carstensz – Timika – Arrive Timika – Connect to Bali or overnight in Timika
Flight to Bali – Hotel – Open day in Bali.
- Helicopter flight from Timika to Carstensz Base Camp
- Accommodation in Bali before and after (up to 2 nights) the trek/climb
- All meals after departing Bali and before arriving back in Bali
- Tents and group climbing equipment
- All expedition logistics
- All climbing and trekking permits and donation
- All supplies necessary to make a strong and safe bid for the summit
- All expedition staff including qualified western mountain guide(s) and local support staff
- Up to two nights’ accommodation and meals in Papua one night prior to the climb, and one night following the climb
- Transport of 15 kg personal equipment from Timika to Base Camp by helicopter (20 kg max for internal flight from Bali)
- Porters if needed
- Satellite phone for emergency contact
- Round-trip airfare Bali – Timika. Approximate ticket cost is $500, which we will arrange
- International air travel to and from Denpasar, Indonesia
- Indonesian tourist visa charges and airport taxes
- Personal clothing and equipment
- Meals outside Papua
- Personal travel insurance, trip cancellation insurance, and medical/security evacuation insurance
- Any rescue costs or costs of early departure from the expedition
- Costs from arriving early/leaving late
- Overweight baggage charges Bali – Timika
- Any costs due to flight delays/cancellations
- Extra chartered helicopters
- Personal domestic excess baggage costs
- Customary gratuities to local expedition staff, porters and guides
- Accommodation in Bali, beyond the three nights
- Accommodation in Papua, beyond the two nights
- Personal climbing equipment.
- Tip, telephone, bar, laundry, and any personal expense
- Force majeure
- Costs for delays that are beyond the control of the expedition
Due to the nature and heavy costs of government and operator permits, Alpine Ascents International must adhere to a stringent refund policy.
- Each deposit and balance payment is non-refundable.
- All balances are due 120 days prior to departure date unless otherwise specified and can be paid by check, wire transfer, ACH or by credit card with a surcharge of 3%. Payment details will be in your billing statement.