Mardi Himal is a classic Nepal trekking experience in the Annapurna region. This is a short hike with only six trekking days, the trail passes through villages and a range of landscapes from forest to high alpine. The mountains seen include Annapurna South, Mount Hiunchuli, and Mount Machhapuchhre. For accommodation while, on trek, we use tea house lodges.
We start the trek only a short drive from Pokhara at the road head in a place called Phedi. We ascend a trail through the forest to the large village at Dhampus. There are several trekking routes with a trail heading to Australian camp. Another trail goes to Ghandruk and continues to Annapurna Base Camp. At the trail junction at Pitam Deurali, we hike through the forest towards Forest Camp.
Higher up we walk through rhododendron forests. Above Low Camp, we pass Middle Camp. On the way to High Camp, we get wonderful views of the Annapurna range. Along the Mardi Himal ridge at Upper Viewpoint we look down into the Annapurna Sanctuary.
Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu (1,400m)
Day 2: Kathmandu sightseeing
Day 3: Fly to Pokhara, drive Phedi and trek to Pothana (1,925m)
Day 4: Trek to Forest Camp (2,600m)
Day 5: Trek to Low Camp (3,150m)
Day 6: Trek to High Camp (3,600m)
Day 7: Trek to Upper viewpoint (4,200m) and back to Low Camp
Day 8: Trek to Siding village (1,750m) and drive to Pokhara
Day 9: At leisure in Pokhara
Day 10: Fly to Kathmandu
Day 11: Fly back home
- All internal transport and transfers including airport collections.
- Internal flights. The flights are Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu. The weight allowance is 15kg for your main bag checked into the hold and 5kg for your day pack.
- One day sightseeing in Kathmandu with Nepalese cultural guide and private vehicle.
- Twin share room at Hotel Tibet in Kathmandu and at Mount Kailash Resort in Pokhara.
- Dormitory room with common bathroom while on trek.
- Breakfast only in Kathmandu and Pokhara, all meals included while on trek. Trek meals include breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and biscuits plus two course dinner. This is soup and the main meal. Two hot drinks included per meal.
- Trekking arrangements. Including permits and fees, tents, Nepalese guides and porters. We provide one trekking guide for a group size of two people. We provide two guides for a group size of three people and three guides for group size of six people plus.
- Porterage. The allowance for your main bag is 15kg.
- Weather forecasts from EverestWeather.com.
- Thuraya satellite phone for organising logistics and medical evacuations. It can also be also used for personal calls at extra cost.
- Trekking map given to you on arrival to Kathmandu.
- Rubberised luggage tag posted to you before departure.
- Full financial protection. Our Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL) number is 10921. Our Association of Bonded Travel Operators Trust (ABTOT) membership number is 5365).
- Pre departure support and advice from The Mountain Company. We are available by email, phone or face to face meetings.
- International flight to/from Kathmandu.
- Travel & trekking insurance.
- Nepal visa for 30 days at US$40 (approx £25).
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu.
- Personal clothing & equipment, please see the Appendix for suggested kit list.
- Tips (guidance on amounts included in our “Nepal Pre Trip Information” notes).
- Other items not listed in “What is included”.
All of the pre-expediton information and support was first rate, with plenty of chances to ask questions and gain reassurance as two nervous first time trekkers. The logistics and warmth of support on the ground was also very good with a good balance to the sight seeing trips pre-trek. Once on the trek we were both encouraged and reassured by the warm and professional approach of our guide (Hebi) and porter (Min). The pace was managed to ensure we remained comfortable and the altitude gain was ideal to ensure we were able to cope without any adverse effects. Our guide had planned stops in relatively quiet villages and camps which was pleasant and whilst accommodation is basic it is of good clean standard and everyone we met was very friendly. This is a great trek for both a beginner introduction to Nepal and trekkers with concerns about managing altitude issues. Then having almost completed our trek we became aware of the gravity of the developing Covid worldwide situation. We can not praise the Roland and the team enough for the energy they put in to ensuring we could achieve an early return to the UK (even furnishing domestic flight tickets without our payment, we were just told "pay the local team once your back and safe in Katmandu!”). At a time when we were deeply worried about how we would get back the the UK, TMC showed great qualities for which we will always be very grateful. In summary this trek was exceptionally well run and when we hit difficulties TMC stepped up and delivered big time!! Thank you! WE WILL CERTAINLY USE AGAIN!!
First trip to Asia. Hiking was beautiful and not crowded. Went in November. Always felt safe. Pace was appropriate. The meal menu was the same at all the different lodges, so easy to try everything on the menu eventually or just stick with your favorite. Our guides recommended starting the final summit at dawn as opposed to the many who left hours prior to dawn to catch the peak at sunrise. Our trek was much more pleasant as we got to see the beautiful sunrise but were nearly as cold as the crew that left in the dark. The porters were amazing in their ability to carry our gear and their own often arriving long before we did. And picking excellent rest stops to enjoy the view.