Manaslu Circuit is one of the classic treks in Nepal around an 8,000m peak called Mount Manaslu. The view from Larkya La is superb of Himal Chuli, Cheo Himal, and Himlung Himal mountains and to the Annapurna region including Annapurna 2. In the Manaslu region, there is now a network of tea house lodges and is no longer a full camping trek. As the lodges are basic we also bring tents as a backup in case.
The Manaslu trek starts at Soti Khola village a few hours further up the valley from the town of Arughat. The trekking trail passes through bamboo forests in the narrow Buri or Budi Gandaki gorge. After Lho village we enter the Nupri region inhabited by Tibetan immigrants. You see colourful Buddhist prayer flags, mani walls, and monasteries.
We spend two nights at Samagaon and Samdo villages for essential acclimatisation. From Samagaon you can walk towards Manaslu Base Camp. After Samdo village we start the approach towards the Larkya La pass at an altitude of 5,213m. The pass day is hard work although no previous mountaineering experience is required.
Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu (1,400m)
Day 2: Sightseeing in Kathmandu
Day 3: Drive to Soti Khola (700m)
Day 4: Trek to Macha Khola (930m)
Day 5: Trek to Jagat (1,440m)
Day 6: Trek to Deng (1,860m)
Day 7: Trek to Namrung (2,540m)
Day 8: Trek to Lho (3,020m)
Day 9: Trek to Samagaon (3,450m)
Day 10: Acclimatisation day at Samagaon (3,450m)
Day 11: Trek to Samdo (3,860m)
Day 12: Acclimatisation day at Samdo (3,860m)
Day 13: Trek to Larkya Phedi (4,460m)
Day 14: Trek over Larkya la pass (5,213m) to Bimtang (3,590m)
Day 15: Trek to Dharapani (1,860m)
Day 16: Trek to Jagat (1,430m)
Day 17: Jeeps to Besisahar then by private bus to Kathmandu
Day 18: Fly back home
- All internal transport and transfers including airport collections.
- Twin share room at Hotel Tibet or Hotel Ambassador in Kathmandu.
- Breakfast only in Kathmandu, all meals included while on trek. Trek meals include breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and biscuits plus two course dinner (soup and main meal) plus up to two cups of hot drinks per meal.
- Lodge based accommodation on trek however we also bring along tents in case you prefer to sleep outside of the lodge. The tents will be allocated on a twin share basis using our three person Western branded tents.
- Twin share room with common bathroom while on trek.
- All trekking arrangements including permits and fees, trekking guide(s) and porter(s). We provide one trekking guide for group size of two people and two guides for a group size of three people and three guides for group size of six people plus.
- Bespoke weather forecasts for Manaslu region from throughout the duration of this trek.
- Thuraya satellite phone to ensure our guides have reliable communications with us for logistics, planning and group safety.
- Manaslu trekking map given to you on arrival to Kathmandu.
- Rubberised luggage tags posted to you before departure.
- Full financial protection for all monies paid to us through our membership of Association of Bonded Travel Operators Trust (our ABTOT membership number is 5365) and having an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (our ATOL number is 10921).
- Pre departure support and advice from The Mountain Company by email, phone or face to face meetings in London. After booking with us we will send our comprehensive “Nepal Pre Trip Information” notes.
- International flight to/from Kathmandu.
- Travel & trekking insurance.
- Nepal visa for 30 days at US$40.
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu.
- Personal clothing & equipment please see the Appendix for suggested kit list.
- Tips (guidance on amounts included in our “Nepal Pre Trip Information” notes).
- Other items not listed in “What is included”.
Well organised and hugely enjoyable trek. Great trekking crew. Good food and accommodation in lodges. Well paced and well managed acclimatisation. Good support via satellite phone. Highly recommend The Mountain Company.
I had a fantastic experience of Himalayan trekking with The Mountain Company. Our guide and porters were lovely, very attentive and safety orientated. Our guide was the only guide with a satellite phone on the circuit at the time. Another party made use of it to call for help for a sick trekker as their guide had no means of doing this. The trip was planned brilliantly allowing time for acclimatisation. The food was great and my guide made sure my special diet was catered for, taking great care to make sure I wasn't given any gluten, dairy or egg, even making me soup from scratch when the soup at the tea house was unsuitable for me. The scenery was amazing and we did some fantastic day walks on our acclimatisation days. I couldn't fault the trip. I'd highly recommend The Mountain Company.
I undertook the 2 week Manaslu Circuit trek in April 2019. I once again opted for The Mountain Company, as I had thoroughly enjoyed my previous treks with them. I was not disappointed, and the Manaslu trek proved to be another wonderful Himalayan experience. My enjoyment of the trek was in no small part due to the professionalism and expertise of The Mountain Company staff. This applied to the expert pre-trip information and advice I received when I first enquired about the trek, the support staff in Kathmandu, and of course the selfless Nepalese trekking crew. Nothing was too much trouble, and the emphasis on the safety and well-being of both clients and crew was, as always very impressive. We stayed in tea houses along the way, but the porters also carried 2 tents for emergency usage in case of unexpected mishaps or extreme weather. Whilst the Manaslu Circuit trek is challenging, it is certainly within the capabilities of physically fit first-time trekkers. There are plenty of up and downs, but the walking trails are well graded, and in no way precipitous. Right from the outset the mountain scenery was breathtaking, and there were lots of small, interesting villages and friendly residents. It was a thrill to sight the elusive blue sheep and marmots along the way. This was the first time I had stayed in tea houses, and I enjoyed the experience. They were warm, clean and comfortable, and the meals were varied and the portions plentiful. I have participated in quite a few treks in the Himalayas, but the Manaslu Circuit trek is my favourite. Thank you to Roland and his staff for ensuring I had such a fulfilling adventure. When circumstances allow, I shall certainly be booking another exciting trip through The Mountain Company.
Manaslu Circuit One of the better treks in Nepal. Starting at 700m(2300ft) and rising to the Larke La at 5106m (16,750ft), it allows you to see a wide variety of life styles and vegetataion, besides enjoying the warmth of lower altitudes. Each day, other than going over the pass, is relatively short allowing you to take in the fantastic scenery and have recovery time at the end of the day. The Mountain Company has an extra “acclimatisation day” in the programme compared with some other operators. Besides giving time for another day of exploration, it meant I was in better condition for the day over the pass and not struggling, making the whole trek more enjoyable. The accommodation is simple, but clean and the food satisfying. The higher the trek goes, the simpler the accommodation, as you might expect. The Mountain Company’s organisation was good and accommodation pre-booked, important at busy times. I joined our trek group in Arughat as I was visiting friends there. I had previously done this trek in 199, when we started in Ghorka, finishing in Jomsom a long camping only trek. The provision of lodges/ tea houses makes an easier trek for all. Our guides had a genuine interest in looking after the well being of their clients, us, the trekkers as well as being able to point out things of interest. The porters were excellent and our baggage always at the next lodge in time for our arrival. I thoroughly recommend this trek in Nepal with The Mountain Company. Charlie
Would recommend. Food was good, logistics very good, scenery magnificent. Unfortunately, one client fell ill and had to be medevacced by helicopter to Kathmandu just before the pass. I believed I had been promised a "single tent where possible" but it turned out to be "possible" only 10% of the nights. But that was my only major complaint. Glad I did it.
Some friends and I did the Manaslu Circuit Trek with The Mountain Company in 2018. The owner, Roland Hunter, was directly involved in the process from beginning to end and created one of the best experiences I have enjoyed in many years of traveling the world. Every aspect of the trek was perfectly planned. The trip staff – from Khadka, our head guide, to the porters - were wonderful human beings, extremely knowledgeable and skilled. It was an absolute pleasure to spend three weeks in close quarters with all of them and I have maintained friendships with many of them. I highly recommend the Mountain Company and will be trekking with them again. Garner Bornstein
- April, October 18 Days
Share with your friends