This is the classic trek to Langtang valley then up to the sacred lakes at Gosainkund. After crossing Laurebina La we walk through Helambu and Kathmandu. Langtang region is a trekking area North of Kathmandu near the Tibetan border. Bill Tilman, the well known Himalayan mountaineer, explored this area. He described it as “one of the world's most beautiful valleys”.
The Langtang trek passes through forests home to the red panda, himalayan black bear and musk deer. Higher up above the treeline the landscape opens out to an alpine plateau. From the lodges at Kyanjin Gompa we see the glaciated valleys and high Himalayan peaks. There are fine views of Langtang peaks.
After descending the valley to Lama Hotel we pass Thulo Syabru and start the Laurebina La pass trek. We hike up through rhododendrons and pass Sing Gompa on the way to Gosainkund lakes. We enter the high alpine zone and then we cross the Laurebina La pass adorned with Buddhist prayer flags. The top of the pass is an elevation of 4,700m. The views of the Nepali and Tibetan Himalayas are sensational. To the West you see Ganesh Himal and to the East over to Rolwaling and Everest peaks.
From here we descend into the Helambu valley back to Kathmandu. Along the way we hike through scattered villages and fields. The last section is through Shivapuri National Park. We arrive at the road head at Sundarijal on the outskirts of Kathmandu valley.
Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu (1,400m)
Day 2: Sightseeing in Kathmandu
Day 3: Drive to Syrabu Besi (1,420m)
Day 4: Trek to Lama Hotel (2,450m)
Day 5: Trek to Thyangsyap (3,100m)
Day 6: Trek to Mundu (3,450m)
Day 7: Trek to Kyangjin Gompa (3,870m)
Day 8: Day walk to Chergo Ri (4,984m)
Day 9: Trek to Lama Hotel (2,400m)
Day 10: Trek to Thula Syabru (2,100m)
Day 11: Trek to Sing Gompa (3,250m)
Day 12: Trek to Gosainkund Lake (4,400m)
Day 13: Cross Laurebina La (4,700m) and trek to Ghopte Cave (3,440m)
Day 14: Trek to Kutumsang (2,450m)
Day 15: Trek to Chisapani (2,300m)
Day 16: Fly back home
- All internal transport and transfers including airport collections.
- One day sightseeing in Kathmandu with Nepalese cultural guide and private vehicle.
- Twin share room at Hotel Tibet in Kathmandu and at trek lodges.
- Breakfast only in Kathmandu, all meals included while on trek. Trek meals include breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and biscuits plus two course dinner. This is soup and the main meal. Two hot drinks included per meal.
- Trekking arrangements. Including permits and fees, tents, Nepalese guides and porters. We provide one trekking guide for a group size of two people. We provide two guides for a group size of three people and three guides for group size of six people plus.
- Porterage. The allowance for your main bag is 15kg.
- Weather forecasts from EverestWeather.com.
- Thuraya satellite phone for organising logistics and medical evacuations. It can also be also used for personal calls at extra cost.
- Trekking map given to you on arrival to Kathmandu.
- Rubberised luggage tag posted to you before departure.
- Full financial protection. Our Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL) number is 10921. Our Association of Bonded Travel Operators Trust (ABTOT) membership number is 5365).
- Pre departure support and advice from The Mountain Company. We are available by email, phone or face to face meetings.
- International flight to/from Kathmandu.
- Travel & trekking insurance.
- Nepal visa for 30 days.
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu.
- Personal clothing & equipment, please see the Appendix for suggested kit list.
- Tips (guidance on amounts included in our “Nepal Pre Trip Information” notes).
- Other items not listed in “What is included”.