Time is a valuable commodity. We are about to change the fundamentals of high-mountain expeditions. For you.
While a regular Cho Oyu expedition can require 40 days, our Flash expedition only takes half of the time while increasing safety and chances of success.
The Cho Oyu, also called “The Grace of the Gods” or Qowowuyag, rises at the border between Nepal and Tibet with its breathtaking 8. 201m as sixth highest mountain towards the sky and already comes quite close to it. What is particularly important to us Austrians in connection with Cho Oyu: the legendary first ascent of Herbert Tichy, his Tyrolean mountain companion Sepp Jöchler and Sherpa legend Pasang Dawa in 1954. The Austrian writer, geologist, explorer, adventurer and mountaineer climbed Cho Oyu with much patience and without additional oxygen. The route chosen by the trio is still considered to be the “normal route” to Cho Oyu and will lead us to the summit. And Tichy’s stories make us really looking forward to our expedition into the middle of the Himalayas:
“When we remember this time, it is not so much the extreme but rather the harmony and beauty – the hours, the landscape and the surrounding people – that remain in our memories. (Herbert Tichy)
The Cho Oyu is perfect for preparing for one of the harder eight-thousanders, as it is considered one of the objectively safer and easier eight-thousanders. Nevertheless, this mountain must not be underestimated, because it is still one of the highest mountains in the world and therefore a challenging undertaking. However, through good preparation, a professional team and the appropriate equipment, the objective dangers of our expedition can be contained relatively well and that is what CHO OYU is all about:
Not much of a risk, but definitely fun!
- Preacclimatisation in hypoxic tent inclusive
- Reduction of Expedition Duration – just 22 days
- One of the safest 8.000ers
- 1:2 member-Sherpa-ratio
- IFMGA/UIAGM-certified mountain guide
- High camp equipment included
1. – 7. Day: Arrival in Kathmandu, Drive to Tibet and Ascend to Basecamp
1. Day:Arrival in Kathmandu bzw. Meeting Point im Hotel in Kathmandu
Everyone will be met at the airport and taken to the hotel, regardless of whether the journey was booked individually or not. And then we will get off to a comfortable start… check in and get to know the others while enjoying a beer on the terrace.
2. Day:Free day in Kathmandu
Those who do not yet know Kathmandu will love it. Relax, shop in Thamel, enjoy the cultural program, or simply soak up the atmosphere. To each his own.
3. Day:Drive to Kyirong
4. Day:Drive to Tingri at 4300m
Simple accommodation but good food! We can already see Cho Oyu from here.
5. Day:Drive and Arrival at the Cho Oyu Paddock (5.000m)
6. – 7. Day:Ascend via an intermidiary camp to Cho Oyu Basecamp (5.750m)
8. – 18. Day: Climbing Cho Oyu
We have enough time to set up the route and the high camps on both mountains and wait for favorable weather and snow conditions that are suitable for a safe ascent.
Planned camps are as followed:
- Camp 1 – 6.400m
- Camp 2 – 7.000m
- Camp 3 – 7.350m.
19. – 22. Day: Kyirong, Kathmandu and return flight
19. Day:Trek back to paddock, where the jeeps already wait for us.
20. Day:Departure for Kyirong and after arrival free time.
21. Day:Finally back to civilization! Whatever has happened the last 6 weeks, we’ll be happy to enjoy a cool beer, nice shower and comfortable bed.
22. Day:Time to say goodbye! We’ll leave Nepal with loads of exciting memories and stories to tell.
- Organisation of the expedition
- UIAGM certified mountain guide on the whole expedition
- 4 nights hotel in Kathmandu on double occupancy, single room optional
- All transfers in Nepal and Tibet (jeep / private shuttle)
Fullboard during whole expedition (in Kathmandu only breakfast)
- Drinks at shared meals (no alcoholic drinks)
- Double occupancy rooms/tents during journey to the mountain
- Porter / Yak to basecamp and back (30kg personal gear / member) for both mountains
- 1 tent each member in each basecamp
- 1 tent each 2 members for approach and high camps
- Mat for approach and basecamp
- High camp equipment (tent, stove, cooking gear, gas, meals)
- Fixed ropes, fixing material
- 1 Sherpa each 2 members
- Gear, Insurance and helicopter rescue for all staff members
- Medical emergency oxygen
- Emergency medicine, pulseoxymeter
- Kitchen staff
- Comfortable, heated Dome tent in basecamp, shower tent
- Satellite communication (WIFI, notebook, solar charging)
- All fees and permits
- Weather forecast
- Organization and cost for the Tibetan visa
- Security and warranty of an Austrian tour operator
- International Airfare to Kathmandu (ask for an offer – for now it is about € 800 ex Europe)
- Lunch and dinnerin Kathmandu
- Personal insurance
- Visa for Nepal (available at the airport aftre arrival, take a passport photo!)
- Visa for China (must be obtained by members at the chinese embassy in their home country early enough)
- Personal medicine
- Personal climbing sherpa (optional)
- Oxygen (optional)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Summit bonus for climbing Sherpas
- Personal climbing gear
- Sleeping bag
- High camp mat
- Fees for satellite communication
- Helicopter flight basecamp – Kathmandu (optional)