Annapurna Base Camp is the classic lodge based trek in Nepal to the base of the south face of Mount Annapurna. This trip into the Annapurna range is also known as the Annapurna Sanctuary trek. You start by trekking through traditional villages surrounded by terraced fields. As you ascend in altitude to Ghorepani you pass through rhododendron forests. From the viewpoint at Poon Hill you see many Himalayan peaks. These are Dhaulagiri, Annapurna 1 and Machapuchare (known as Fishtail mountain) and others.
Your holiday begins with a guided sightseeing tour of Kathmandu. After having explored the capital of Nepal you take the flight to the lakeside town of Pokhara. This is a spectacular flight where you will get superb views of the Himalayan mountains.
After a short drive we start the trek by walking up Poon Hill then follow the Modi Khola river into the Sanctuary. This is a hidden amphitheatre with a superb view of the Annapurna massif. On the walk up from Machapuchare Base Camp you see the impressive south face of Annapurna 1 at an altitude of 8,091m.
Annapurna Base Camp trek would be a good choice for a shorter lodge based trek in the Himalaya. Annapurna Circuit trek is longer and crosses Thorung La high pass at 5,400m. The altitude reached on Annapurna Base Camp trek is 4,130m whereas Everest Base Camp is at an elevation of 5,300m.
Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu (1,400m)
Day 2: Kathmandu sightseeing
Day 3: Fly to Pokhara, drive to Naya Pul & trek to Tirkhedunga (1,540m)
Day 4: Trek to Ghorepani (2,750m)
Day 5: Trek to Tadapani (2,590m)
Day 6: Trek to Chomrong (2,170m)
Day 7: Trek to Doban (2,540m)
Day 8: Trek to Machhapuchhare Base Camp (3,480m)
Day 9: Trek to Annapurna Base Camp (4,100m)
Day 10: Trek to Bamboo (2,310m)
Day 11: Trek to Ghandruk (1,940m)
Day 12: Trek out to Shyauli Bazaar and drive to Pokhara
Day 13: Fly to Kathmandu
Day 14: Fly home
- All internal transport and transfers including airport collections.
- Internal flights. The flights are Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu. The weight allowance is 15kg for your main bag checked into the hold and 5kg for your day pack.
- One day sightseeing in Kathmandu with Nepalese cultural guide and private vehicle.
- Twin share room at Hotel Tibet in Kathmandu and at Mount Kailash Resort in Pokhara.
- Dormitory room with common bathroom while on trek. We also send along a tent as a back-up in case you prefer to sleep outside or if the rooms at the lodge are full.
- Breakfast only in Kathmandu and Pokhara, all meals included while on trek. Trek meals include breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and biscuits plus two course dinner. This is soup and the main meal. Two hot drinks included per meal.
- Trekking arrangements. Including permits and fees, tents, Nepalese guides and porters. We provide one trekking guide for a group size of two people. We provide two guides for a group size of three people and three guides for group size of six people plus.
- Porterage. The allowance for your main bag is 15kg.
- Weather forecasts from EverestWeather.com.
- Thuraya satellite phone for organising logistics and medical evacuations. It can also be also used for personal calls at extra cost.
- Trekking map given to you on arrival to Kathmandu.
- Rubberised luggage tag posted to you before departure.
- Full financial protection. Our Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL) number is 10921. Our Association of Bonded Travel Operators Trust (ABTOT) membership number is 5365).
- Pre departure support and advice from The Mountain Company. We are available by email, phone or face to face meetings.
- International flight to/from Kathmandu.
- Travel & trekking insurance.
- Nepal visa for 30 days at US$50 (approx £25).
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu.
- Personal clothing & equipment, please see the Appendix for suggested kit list.
- Tips (guidance on amounts included in our “Nepal Pre Trip Information” notes).
- Other items not listed in “What is included”.
Such a well organized and planned trip. Great guide. Felt well look after, safe and had my concerns addressed before, during and even after the trip. Highly recommend booking with Roland and his team!
Our 2nd trip with the Mountain Company and as per usual, it met our expectations. Well organised with a variety of stunning scenery from woodlands and forest to the vast open spaces of base camp. Although you only get to 4300m it is a very strenuous trek due to the number of steps climbed, but slow and steady wins the race! As you get higher the lodges become sparser, which is only to be expected due to the remoteness of the region. Each day brought new challenges but the easy pace ensured that we arrived safely at our destination thanks to our guide and porters. But nothing prepares you for the spectacular base camp itself and the 360 enclosure - absolutely stunning.